Tuesday 25 August 2015

Phat Photon Pins

So the pins on the photon are slightly too fat to fit in either of my standard sized breadboards. You can jam it in and the pins will stick but it will bounce out soon after if you touch it. I also found that it did not create a solid connection with the breadboard connectors so the components were not getting powered unless you wiggled the photon.

While developing the software and working out the circuits I really want to have the photon on a breadboard so I thought about how to modify the pin size. I have just had great success using shield extender headers. The photon with its chunky legs fit inside the header strips and they have slightly thinner legs which fit snugly in the breadboard and seems to provide a solid reliable connection.


You need a header strip with 12 pins. Unfortunately I couldn't find any at short notice so have improvised with smaller ones. You can pick them up on ebay for a couple of pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment